Brexit Update – Green Card guidance

News > Brexit Update – Green Card guidance

With negotiations continuing over the United Kingdom’s exit of the European Union, and uncertainty surrounding the terms of the Brexit deal, we want to provide an update on the potential impact on customers should the UK leave the EU without a withdrawal agreement.

It is important to note that nothing has been formally agreed at this point, but customers should be aware of the potential implications on the motor insurance industry.

Guidance from the Association of British Insurers (ABI) and Motor Insurance Bureau (MIB) is that drivers should be prepared to have a Green Card when driving abroad after midnight on the 31st October 2019.

Guidance from UK Government states if the UK leaves the EU without a deal, UK drivers may also need an IDP and extra documentation to drive in the EU and EEA

Why is a Green Card needed?
A Green Card is an international certificate of insurance which guarantees that the motorist has the necessary third-party insurance cover. These certificates prove that customers are suitably insured to drive in these countries. A physical copy of a Green Card on green paper is needed when travelling as digital copies are not currently accepted.

In the event of a “No Deal” Brexit, this would be required as evidence of motor insurance for travel within European Union countries and EU approved countries (including Ireland, Andorra, Serbia & Switzerland). If customers arrive at the border without a physical Green Card, they will not be allowed to drive in that country.

As the situation unfolds we at Luker Rowe will continue to be your professional guide, providing timely updates and advice.